19 July 2011

Hit the road, Jack

Tomorrow I leave this:



Wifey, a friend and I are driving here:


After that, we're flying here:

Once we get there, we're going eat a bunch of this:


Then we're going to drink some of this:

And then have a nap.



Then we're going to go see this:



I think we might go here:


We'll probably ride one of these



To see the city.



And a whole bunch of other awesome things and places.


We were going to go here:

But too much of this:

Made the roads look like this:
Why do you hate, me Jeebus?

So now we aren't.


It's both ironic and shittily coencidental that the absence of rain here has caused emergency situations,  temporarily shut down some roads, robbed people of their homes, destroyed local agribusiness and generally fucked shit up. 

But where we're going, too much rain has caused emergency situations, temporarily shut down some roads, robbed people of their homes, destroyed local agribusiness and generally fucked shit up.



But that's okay, because we're still going to have a great, great time.


I think it would be impossible for me to not have a good time for a handful of reasons.
1- I'm going to be with people I enjoy.
2- I'm going to a new place, and that's always exciting.
3- Bandeja Paisa, Arepas, Hogao, et cetera.
4- I will finally get to experience the warm, generous and unique Colombian culture I've read and heard so much about.
5- It's not the Texas Panhandle




Bring it.





I've always wanted to go to South America. It seems like one of the last places where the notion of individual liberty hasn't been sacrificed on the altar of safety and security. 

I mean individual liberty in a Tom Robbins sense, not a Ron Paul sense, although they do have their similarities.

Reasonable safety and security is one thing, but I'm sick of living in a part of the world which expects me to experience life with training wheels on. People who try to live interesting lives are deviants here.

"If you take off those training wheels, you might just fall. Can't risk that. No no no."

I feel like life in this part of the US is sterile, flavorless, and homogenous.  It's a boring part of the world to live in.  I don't really like that.


If anything, where we're headed won't be boring.



Viva!

No comments:

Post a Comment