08 January 2012

Project: Failed

So a year ago today I launched this blog with the intention of reading 52 books in a year, and writing  reviews of them. I added a few things along the way which seemed germane or interesting.

Between then and now, I started a second blog which was to chronicle my education as an AMT student.

Shortly after that, I got so busy I more or less quit bothering to update either of them.

The  official book count for 2011 is 42. I haven't reviewed Zamyatin's We, (which is badass, but can be rather annoying) nor have I done one over the Jeppesen books we used for class last year. They were horribly written, crappily edited. I could honestly write these books better, and some day, when I have a more full understanding of the subject matter, I will.

Anyway, this isn't a review. It's a declaration of failure.


I might keep up with this. I might not. Either way, I'm pretty sure that I could read 52 books in a year if I felt like it...

The reviews got worse and worse as time went on, because I was just doing them to do them, not because I wanted to, or because I felt like they were even worth my time.

To see good reviews, read the earlier ones.

In any event, I had fun with the project. I'm glad it's over because now I don't have this sense of urgency looming over everything else I do.  But, to be honest, I could've just quit any time I felt like it. I didn't because I knew this was a worthwhile project.

I've gone back and looked at some of the books I read and reviewed, and to be honest, I remember nothing about some of them. Nothing at all. Not even that I read them.


Delicious 


Perhaps a little too much JWR has dissolved my brain. I doubt it, though. Humans aren't that great at recall.

Any way, here's to 2012, the twilight of my twenties, and the turning of the tawdry and sometimes tedious alliterative phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment