20 June 2011

Book 25: Assholes Finish First

Assholes Finish First


Tucker Max

Gallery, 2010


If you're familiar with Tucker Max, you know exactly what to expect. If you're not, just imagine a rich kid with little respect for social mores and a drinking problem. This book is a collection of stories of his inebriated exploits and, aside from a little moral proselytizing at the end, is hilarious.

These are exploits that can only come from people with more money than sense.

In AFF, Max mentions being broke for a time, but it's my contention that if you have the opportunity to go to law school and stay wasted the whole time, you (or someone you know) have no real worries. I think Max is smart enough to recognize this.  

Having been a non-traditional student, having had to literally deal with other peoples' shit for 5 years in order to get my undergraduate degree, I'm a little sensitive to people who have the opportunity to piss away their college years.  Is this jealousy? Absolutely. I would've loved to have been one of those kids with nothing to do and nowhere to go on a Tuesday afternoon. But I wasn't. So I hold a continual grudge against everyone who was.

But that's not to say I don't enjoy the stories that come out of such lives of privileged. Fun is fun, regardless of who you are.

Just like my envious anger towards these people will likely never die, I will likely never stop wishing I lived their lives. Don't get me wrong, I've had my fun, and I'm still having it, but not like this. Not to the absurd extent that people like Tucker Max have.

The protection that comes with narcissism and money affords a person the chance to do whatever they want-- consequences be damned.  While that would be nice,  I'm getting to the point in my life where it seems much more appealing to have these experiences through others. As lame as that sounds, it's the truth.
Say whatever you want about Tucker Max, his stories, and their validity-- he's a damn good writer. It honestly doesn't matter if everything (or anything) he writes about actually happened, even though we have  enough supporting evidence to lend credence to his tales.
What matters, at least to me, is how well he tells his tales. A great story can only come from a great storyteller. While a crappy narrator can destroy a good story, a bard can make a trip to the corner store an Indian Jones short.

This is from an excerpt about his 21st Birthday.

"That's it. The corner has been turned. I can no longer discern faces from furniture without squinting and concentrating. I blithely wave off the next shot, but the ensuing boom of castigation from the bloodthirsty savages I call "friends" somehow pushes the liquid down my throat."

That's good writing. This isn't a carefully selected passage, either. The entire book is this well-crafted. 
If you don't enjoy the humor involved, you're probably either too old or a Mormon. If the latter is the case, you need to learn to distinguish fantasy from reality, and if the former is true, what are you doing reading books like this?

For what it's worth, assholes usually do finish first. Ask any asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment