24 June 2011

Book 26: The Internet is a Playground

The Internet is a Playground




David Thorne

Tarcher, 2011


If you've ever read the articles on Thorne's website, then, to be honest, buying the book is unnecessary.

It's as if he were writing the articles online, then he thought to himself that he could make a book, so he came up with a bunch of extra material to make a book, and *kablamo*-- book deal.

Unfortunately, the extra stuff, the filler, isn't nearly as funny as the website material.

That said, it's still damn funny.

The book starts out at a high that, honestly, is going to be very difficult to ever top. The articles Throne has included are genuinely hilarious (if you have the right sense of humor, I suppose... and I do....) and the book just keeps on giving.

Don't read it in a bathroom stall. People will think you've lost your mind when you begin to laugh like a maniac.

Speaking of bathroom stalls, I was in one a couple of weeks ago and a little kid came crawling under my stall. It spooked me and I stomped in his general direction. He withdrew, frightened, and started to cry.

I didn't feel sorry for him, because I was trying to have a peaceful experience and he invaded my very personal space. I think he learned his lesson, but I regret not being able to give him a boot to the head, or at least a piss puddle to splash in his creepy little face. It was seriously creepy, and it has forced me to remain on the defensive whenever I poo.

See what I just did there? That's what reading a lot of these articles is like, but Thorne does it in a magical, trollish way that bakes like funnycake and makes me laugh like a manic in public bathroom stalls.

The book gets less and less funny as it continues on, but is punctuated by moments of hilarity. Your mileage may vary, but if you enjoy fucking with people for the hell of it, then this is an excellent addition to your library.

4/5 masturbating monkeys.














If you think a masturbating monkey rating system is funny, then you definitely need Thorne's book.  If not... you probably won't enjoy it very much. Don't get all hoity-toity on me, either. You chuckled. You know you did. Look down your nose all you want, but it's funny to even say "masturbating monkey," let alone see an ape with his junk in his hands and a look of utter nonchalance on his face.


So far as the writing goes, it's decent and clever, but not divinely inspired.  The book is hilarious. And that's what it was intended to be.

But seriously, if you've read the content on his website, then you've seen the best parts of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment